Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My new clock (Read 6473 times)
kathyv

Are we there yret?

My new clock
06/10/04 at 20:42:12
Print Post  
Hello. I just joined the forum as I have †BIG questions! I hope someone can help me.

I have receintly inhereted a Grandfather clock from my grandmother. She knows nothing about the clock, (or can't remember) and has no documentation on it. My Aunt thinks it was probably purchased mid 20th century from Montgomery Wards. It is 6 feet tall, plays Westminster chimes on every quarter hour and has a disc above the clock face which reads Tempus Fugit (Time Flies) There is also a small disc, mid face, which reads Cornwell.

What I am wondering is if anyone can point me toward information about this clock. I have tried google searches and can't seem to find anything about the Cornwell name.

When looking over the clock I can't see any manufacturers marks or dates or anything like that anywhere. The back panel which would have covered the mechanism is gone and I suspect that info was on that panel. Is thie true or should I look elsewhere?

I would also like to get a replacement for this missing panel so that would match the rest of the clock, but as Montgomery Wards is out of business, I don't imagine that is possible. Would it detract from the value to have one made?

Thanks for all the help!

IP Logged

Jim Miller

Collector / Restorer

Re: My new clock
Reply #1 - 06/10/04 at 20:52:23
Print Post  
Kathyv, if the back of the clock is off, I'm assuming you can see the movement. If so, are there any markiongs on the movement?
Jim Miller

Jim Miller
"curious minds want to know"

IP Logged

kathyv

Are we there yret?

Reply #2 - 06/11/04 at 05:22:16
Print Post  
Hi Jim, thanks for responding!

I can only see the gears for the chimes. There is a wooden semi box thing which the clock works are behind. It is open on the top and bottom but it covers all the works. I can't find any marks of any kind on the chime movement.

IP Logged

Jim Miller

Collector / Restorer

Reply #3 - 06/11/04 at 11:29:06
Print Post  
Perhaps you could take the dial off and get a view of the front of the movement. Is it possible to post any pictures?

Jim Miller

IP Logged

Malcolm_R.

Rookie

Reply #4 - 06/15/05 at 18:07:11
Print Post  
I too have the same clock it appears. I too am looking for more info on it so I can repair it and sell it. Mine is 6 feet tall, plays Westminster chimes on every quarter hour and has a disc above the clock face which reads Tempus Fugit (Time Flies) There is also a small disc, mid face, which reads Cornwell. 
But in addition, on the rear of the movement mine has engraved (stamped into the metal):
Heinz Jauch Inc. Made in Germany
77 574        Z81403

Hope this helped a little. Please let me know if you find out anything else. I hope Jim Miller might be able to assist us.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Jim Miller

Collector / Restorer

Reply #5 - 06/15/05 at 21:05:07
Print Post  
Kathy & Malcom
I did a search on google for Heinz Jauch and found that it is a movement used in the Emperor Clock Co. Emperor supplies kits to make clocks, and they movement is list movements made by Jauch. From what I could find, they used a Model# 200M ( single chime) and a #300m ( triple chime). They list the date of manufacture of these models from 1969 to early 1978. I thinkk if you go to

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

, you might be able to get a hold of someone who can possibly help.

I hope this has been helpful & happy hunting Wink

Jim Miller

IP Logged

Malcolm_R.

Rookie

Reply #6 - 06/22/05 at 19:55:52
Print Post  
Kathy and Jim,

Behold, I found the original instruction book for mine. It is indeed a Montgomer Wards clock. My model and serial number info is:
Montgomery Ward Grandfaher Clock
Model CCM 9091 A

Tempus Fugit Floor Clock
Faceplate Model: Cornwell
Movement: Heinz Jauch Inc.
Serial #: 77 574       281403
Made in Germany

Kathy, the rear coverboard you seek is just that, a thin solid 1/8 inch thick partical board, 14-3/16 in. by 12-1/16 in. if we have the same clock. I also just saw one for auction on Ebay last week (Item number 4388618993) for $150.00 so don't spend too much trying to get it running, if it's not. The Ebay item had some pictures if it is still posted.
   Several years ago I used WD-40 on the movement and a clock repairman said this probably killed mine. The movement is soaking in hot water and Dawn now, lol. The repairman will soak it in a sonic bath and properly lubricate it for a few bucks, he said. I'm just going to try and clean it and get it running for a garage sale and will probably ask $75 for it.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

foddrill

I Love Clocks!

Reply #7 - 02/18/11 at 03:29:23
Print Post  
I can share some information for anyone else who later on might be looking for a clock like this. The Cornwell Clock †was manufactured in my hometown, which is a small town in Paoli, IN. The factory burned to the ground in the mid-70's. For what it's worth, these are highly prized in Orange County Indiana & sell for a great deal there. There are a few people around yet that actually worked at that factory & know how to maintain this clock. For those who do not know such exists, there is a book that came with these clocks which contains instructions pertaining to the clock. Hope this helps Smiley

IP Logged

bill

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - 02/19/11 at 06:24:48
Print Post  
Doe's the clock run OK, and its just missing the back cover? The back cover could be made without any problem if that is the only problem.

As far as repairing, it shouldn't be any problem. I've done quite a few Emperor movements without any problems. I'm not too sure about using hot water and dish soap though. Simple Green does a good job if you don't have any Clock Cleaner. As far as I've seen, WD-40 just messes up your clock cleaner for good. But I've never seen it hurt a movement as far as physical harm.

Let us know what you end up doing!  Smiley

Bill

IP Logged

uhn113x
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/20/11 at 12:30:08
Print Post  
bill wrote on 02/19/11 at 06:24:48:
I'm not too sure about using hot water and dish soap though. Simple Green does a good job if you don't have any Clock Cleaner. As far as I've seen, WD-40 just messes up your clock cleaner for good. But I've never seen it hurt a movement as far as physical harm.

You cannot clean and lubricate a clock without dismantling it, and those 'professionals' who do it by dunking the movement in a US cleaner are bodgers.

Like having a shower with your clocthes on, it just rearranges the muck, and after a while you will get increased wear and broken springs.

WD40 will just leave sticky mess all over things and collect dust, making an excellent grinding paste.

You cannot service a clock unless you know how it works, especially with chiming and striking clocks.

Sorry to pour cold water (with or without soap) on this thread!

IP Logged

hoo-boy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/20/11 at 13:20:40
Print Post  
I completely agree with this as I expect all clock repairers will.
  The only time I use the old  scottish method (Dunk'n Swish) is If the clock is unusually filthy and then  it is done prior to a complete tear down where then it is given a complete cleaning, pegging pivot hole, polishing pivots, plates  etc.
If one is going to pursue clock repair they  would  be  well  advised to get a few basic books on the subject (Our Host has a dandy) . Also get an old movement, time only and practice on this and advance from there.
This should tell one if its for them or not! Its not everyone's cup of tea!
hoo-boy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print

« Board Index ‹ Board  ^Top