Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clockmakers Newsletter

Book 4 Grandfather Clocks and Book 5 Tubular Bell Clocks from the Clockmakers Newsletter Workshop Series now available, Items 204 and 205.  They can be purchased through the CN Online Store.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Schatz 8day cuckoo door wobbles (Read 1027 times)
Sarchet

What is YaBB 2 anyway?

Sedro-Woolley, WA
Schatz 8day cuckoo door wobbles
12/29/07 at 01:36:42

I am working on a Schatz 8 day cuckoo.  This is the first one like it that I have done.  One lever moves the bird out and a seperate lever holds the door open.  I am having a couple of problems: 1) the door doesn't open far enough (it makes less than a 90 degree angle with the case when open), 2) the door closes partially with each cuckoo (if the clock strikes 8 then the door wobbles back and forth seven times).  There is a sort of hoop mounted on the wheel of the gathering palet arbor.  The hoop is not a complete circle; it's only 3/4 of one.  As the wheel comes around a lever falls into the missing portion of the hoop and allows both the lever holding the bird and the lever holding the door to fall back.  A type of cam mounted on the arbor of the lever that counts the teeth of the rack prevents the door from closing all the way until the cuckoo is finished counting.  However the door still closes enough to be very noticable.  I am wondering if there are any secrets to repairing these besides always replacing them with a nice 8 day Regula.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Mike Sarchet

Respectfully yours,&&Mike Sarchet

IP Logged

Sarchet

What is YaBB 2 anyway?

Sedro-Woolley, WA
Re: Schatz 8day cuckoo door wobbles
Reply #1 - 01/03/08 at 23:28:09

I weighed the weights on my none-too-accurate scale several times.  I got a range between 3 lbs 5 oz and 3 lbs 8 oz with 3 lbs 6 oz probably being about right.  Sorry I can't be more accurate.  I also don't know if the weights are original, although they do match and are not marked with the weights like the replacement cones that I have bought usually are.  Thanks for your helpful remarks.

Respectfully yours,&&Mike Sarchet

IP Logged

Steven Conover
YaBB Administrator

Reading, PA
Reply #2 - 01/09/08 at 10:35:50

Don't replace that Schatz! It is an unusual and interesting clock. We feature it in the February Clockmakers Newsletter which is not due to be mailed yet. The Schatz door opening system and cuckoo bird system work separately. The door stays open during the cuckoo sequence, but the bird moves partially in and out with each cuckoo call. The hoop wheel allows the bird to do that. There is a brass sector piece that prevents the door from closing or flapping as the clock cuckoos. You need to adjust that to prevent the door flapping. When properly adjusted, the door will barely quiver during the call. You can also make a small bend in the lever that rests on the sector--you could call that a doorstop. If the door does not open far enough, the wire which operates the door may be too short. Try making another one 1/16 inch longer. It is difficult to adjust this movement in the case. I suggest youb remove it and do most of the adjustments on the bench.
You can help me out a bit here. I do not have original weightts for my clock. Would you tell me the weight in lbs. and ounces?

Steven Conover&&Editor, Clockmakers Newsletter
IP Logged

Steven Conover
YaBB Administrator

Reading, PA
Reply #3 - 01/09/08 at 10:36:12

Someone who owns one of these clocks says his weights are 2 lbs. 13 ounces or 1275 gr. That is a little heavier than the average 8-day cuckoo clock weight. Your weights should be fine.

Steven Conover&&Editor, Clockmakers Newsletter
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
(Moderators: Rich Conover, Steven Conover, Len Lataille)