Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clockmakers Newsletter

Book 4 Grandfather Clocks and Book 5 Tubular Bell Clocks from the Clockmakers Newsletter Workshop Series now available, Items 204 and 205.  They can be purchased through the CN Online Store.
Home Help Search Login Register

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
Heinz Jauch 77 strike/chime (Read 2310 times)
Kasey

I Love Clocks!

Heinz Jauch 77 strike/chime
01/26/11 at 12:06:25

Hello,  I am hoping you can assist me with a Jauch 77 movement that was taken apart by unexperienced owner after relocation stopped clock.  I am amature clock repair and only for myself usually but agreed to this as a favor.  I have managed to put time/chime/and strike train back in what I beleive are correct order and clock works and keeps time - however the strike and chime is not working correctly.  Westminister chimes only on hour are doubled and hour strike once for each chime sequence.  No chime at 15/30/45 but full 16 note chime at hour strike once - repeat chime repeat strike.  I don't know what I have done incorrectly, can you help? Cry  Thank you

IP Logged

Steve_Skibicki
Clockmaster

I love clocks!

Re: Heinz Jauch 77 strike/chime
Reply #1 - 01/26/11 at 17:37:53

This is a tough one without the movement in my hands but your clock  needs to be put together correctly, and adjusted correctly. The chime train needs to be set up correctly as you put the clock together and further adjustments made after assembly. I cannot say for sure but I also believe you have a bent lever or levers.
This particular movement could also probably benefit from a good overhaul.
I do not mean this in a bad way but you may be in over your head with this clock.
My advice is to find someone else to do the job or return it to your friend .

IP Logged

Kasey

I Love Clocks!

Reply #2 - 02/26/11 at 01:17:35

Hi, It has taken me a while to get back to this-but here goes.  A difficult problem for sure, however I do not think anything was bent, owner did not remove clock dial and so front side was untouched.  Train wheels and mainsprings were out and so I think one is out of place.  Any help at all of where to look for the problem would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Steve_Skibicki
Clockmaster

I love clocks!

Reply #3 - 02/26/11 at 06:41:57

A photo of the front of the movement without the dial and also one of the back might be helpful here.

IP Logged

uhn113x
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/21/11 at 05:37:08

Yep - we do need a picture, and you'll have a frustrating job on your hands!

BTW, it's Westminster, not Westminister.

IP Logged

hoo-boy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/21/11 at 05:42:17

I believe you are fighting a loosing battle on westminster and westminister. lol  Seems that pesky extra i just keeps on keeping on!
hoo-boy

IP Logged

uhn113x
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/21/11 at 10:03:12

It's probably that our friends over there never hear the name actually spoken.

Like 'loose' vs 'lose'  Wink

Trousers test: 
If you loose your trousers, no problem, just tighten your belt.
If you lose your trousers you're in serious trouble, 'specially if it's outside in winter!

I'll get my coat ...

IP Logged

hoo-boy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/21/11 at 19:29:30

kinda like 'If we had some ham we could have some ham and eggs,  if we had some eggs" 
hoo-boy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print
(Moderators: Rich Conover, Steven Conover, Len Lataille)